Gil tends to half-ass his way through Passover every year (since I showed up) and I’m more than happy to indulge that half-assery, as it makes things So Much Easier for me in the kitchen. He avoids the major grains, but still indulges in beans and spices and continues to be all honey badger about pork and shellfish. Yes!

Because I’m already gluten-free, I’ve taken this grain-free opportunity to go more fully Primal this week, using the 80/20 principle (if you’re doing the Primal thing 80% of the time, don’t worry so much about the other 20%). These macaroons were my entire 20% for the day and I wish I’d made more.

Despite lacking the baking gene, I resolved to make macaroons after eating one of those canned abominations so prevalent this time of year. It turned out to be quite easy, surprisingly enough, thanks to Martha.

The recipe didn’t include chocolate, but c’mon. How could I not?

Gil took one look and nearly leapt out of his skin. “They look real!”

I managed to save a few from his clutches, but they’re all gone now. Wait, when does Passover end? I think I have time to squeeze in another batch before then.

recipe after the jump

Coconut-Almond Macaroons lightly adapted from Martha Stewart

1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg white
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup slivered almonds, broken into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of coarse salt
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or parchment. Whisk together sugar and egg white in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients.

Form dough into eight 2-tablespoon mounds, and drop each onto sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake macaroons until golden-brown on bottoms and edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool. Using a spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cooled macaroons.

Macaroons will keep, covered, for up to 1 week.

10 Replies to “Macaroons”

  1. Yum, these look great. I’m a sucker for coconut – definitely going to give this recipe a shot when I have a spare egg white.

    I had no idea you could buy macaroons in cans, wow!

  2. I didn’t even know they came in a can. Mom always made them from left over egg whites. These look wonderful.

  3. Taz & Pietra – you’re so lucky not to know! They’re dense, gritty and oddly/unpleasantly moist. Just all-around bad. Haha.

  4. Just made these. I was a bit concerned that the ‘dough’ was too dry but they came out well.

  5. I made this without the slivered almonds – did 3 batches for work and they vanished within 30 minutes and I got the best reviews. Thanks so much for this! Seriously try it.

  6. Not as written, no. You’d have to adjust the other ingredients for the added moisture, but I really don’t know by how much. You could always try adding more coconut until it gets to the right texture and go from there. If you do try the honey, please let me know how it works.

Comments are closed.