What’s in the Arts+ section of The Official Newspaper of Gil Roth today?
- a review of two biographies of Han van Meegeren, the famous Dutch forger of paintings,
- a review of Richard Todd’s essays on authenticity (nice complement/contrast to the forgery review),
- a review of a biography of Jacob Riis, the man who chronicled the horrors of tenement life in late 19th century Manhattan,
- a review of a book on the New Urban Renewal and today’s gentrification,
- Otto Penzler’s review of Anton Chekhov’s crime fiction.
Sometimes I think their editors say to each other, “Remember that thing Gil was muttering to himself about in 1997, when he thought no one was listening? We should assign an article on that topic!”